Two screencasts on how to use a grid to draw 'o' and how to use the bowl from 'o' to create 'e'.
- Select the pen
- Set control point type to quadratic
- Turn on grid
- Right click to create new control points
- Hold down shift and select all control points
- Tie control points handles
- Adjust the position of the control point handles
- Right click to create a counter path
- Hold down shift and select all control points in the counter path
- Tie control points handles in the counter path
- Adjust the position of the control point handles in the counter path
- Edit → Select All Paths
- Edit → Copy
- Edit → Set Glyph Background
- Open the overview tab and select e.
- Edit → Paste In Place
- Select pen and double click to add two new points in the lower right part of the letter.
- Hold down shift and select the two points.
- Press delete.
- Add the missing points and make the inside a bit taller. Right click to add the missing points and left click + drag to move the other points.
- Add three new points at the overlap and press delete to open the path.
- Join the paths.
- Select the control point in the corner and use arrow keys to move it to its position.
- Open the kerning tab and compare the two glyphs. (File → Kerning)